Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Dog Busts Out of Yard to Run Half Marathon

A proud Dozer rocks his medal

A 3-year-old goldendoodle somehow got out of his yard and joined the Maryland Half Marathon at about the 5-mile mark. Dozer was seen at several points throughout the course, lapping up water and trotting along with whatever humans he’d find himself near. No one realized he was a solo runner.

He ran the seven or so miles, and trotted jauntily past the cheering crowd at the finish line. He looks genuinely proud in this video as he crosses the finish line at the 2:14:24 mark.

You go, Dozer!! (At first I thought he was wearing booties, but it looks like he went through some mud or puddles along the way. He was sore for a couple of days, his owners report, but he is AOK.)

The race benefits the University of Maryland’s Greenebaum Cancer Center. There were many people in attendance that day who have lost loves ones to cancer, and he added a happy moment to the event. And he’s continuing his mission to help: He has his own Runner Page on the race’s site, and is raising money for the cancer center, with a goal of $10,000. Check out what he had to say about his involvement:

Wow…I just finished my very first Half Marathon! I was sitting in front of my house on Sunday morning when a bunch of runners came running by. They looked like they were having such fun so i decided to join them. I forgot to tell my Mom that I was leaving and she was really upset! Everyone was really nice to me so I just kept running passing first a sign that said Mile 5 then Mile 6 and so on until I saw this big sign that said Finish and everyone stopped running. Along the way i heard people talking about raising money for Cancer Research and I heard stories about people’s loved ones. I was moved to take action so I set up this page to help out. I had to walk all the way home after the race and Mom didn’t find me at home until the next morning…..boy was I sore!! I overheard my Mom talking to the people who put the race on and they are coming over to give me a medal! Now I am resting and looking back on the great journey. Please help by donating to my page..Dozer”

And speaking of a medal, here’s a video of him getting his finisher’s medal. And once again, he looks extremely proud, don’t you think? (And maybe a little sore?)

Good dog, Dozer.




View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment