Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Saint Bernard Cupcakes

So, I was chatting with a friend the other night and the topic of Saint Bernard cupcakes came up.  Im trying to be crafty these days so  I thought I’d try my hand at them.  I searched the intenet looking for directions but couldn’t find any.  Mind you Im not a baker and certainly not a cake decorator… I’ve made Bakerella’s cupcake bites and those were tasty!  But heck, you cant go wrong with those little gems.

After watching some youtube videos on how to pipe frosting I headed over to Michaels to see if I could find the implements so I could give it a go.  Armed with multiple tips, disposable icing bags/couplers and candy eyes/redhots I headed to the grocery for the ingredients to make my icing, yes I made it from scratch.  Turns out I only needed #12 and #233 tips (but a #10 and #234 would have worked too).

Here’s the breakdown on what I used:

Vanilla Buttercream frosting for the cupcake face and Nose (#12 tip) – will frost about 12 cupcakes with liberal use for the muzzle.Duncan Hines Amazing Glazes (Chocolate) for the mask and noseRed Hots for the tongueWilton Candy EyesButtercream frosting (above) – added cocoa powder to make brown for the ears (#233 tip)

First I put a coating of frosting on the cupcakes face.  Next (following package directions) put globs of the glaze where the mask goes and placed the eyeballs in it while still warm.  Next I used a pipping bag with a #12 tip to put on the muzzle and added a dolop of the glaze for the nose and a redhot for the tongue.  Finally I used the chocolate frosting for the ears using a pipping bag and #233 tip to make the ears look fuzzy.  The whole endeavor wasnt too time consuming, but make sure .  One tip I can give you is to make sure you freeze the cupcakes for 30 minutes to an hour to make frosting easier and to keep crumbs out of it.

I think this one looks like Rufus – my baby boy is immortalized in cake and buttercream.

The finished product

Using the #12 tip I created the 3 dimensional muzzle


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment