Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Product Review: Humane Healing Dog Wound Ointment & Spray

Dog first aid ointment

Now available to dog owners – not just veterinarians – Humane Healing dog wound ointment and spray promotes  safe and faster healing of common dog wounds such as hot spots, punctures, lick granulomas, lacerations (cuts), abscesses  burns, incisions, abrasions, etc. Using organic salts and minerals, this line of wound care is non-toxic, so if your dog licks it, he or she will not be ingesting harmful chemicals.

These are the only dog wound first aid products scientifically proven to reduce healing time, according to the company. They are free of antibiotics, non-caustic and non-steroidal.

I wondered how to test a canine wound ointment if my canines didn’t have a wound. But then our four-mont-old puppy, Benelli, swallowed some hair accessories of my girls’ and it was off to emergency surgery. $1,700 later, we had a sore and groggy but otherwise safe puppy with a long incision on her tummy.

I used the spray and ointment on her as she was confined to lots of crate rest and the dreaded cone. We could let her out to go outside and do her business, and for short leg-stretching sessions (always on leash). I was glad that I didn’t have to worry about what would happen if she were to lick some of the ointment or spray before we could stop her. Her poor tummy had been through enough. She healed quickly and within three days, we were able to liberate her from the crate for extended periods. Removal of the staples went smoothly, in part due to the good healing that had gone on while they were in.

Both products had a very VERY light odor, with no trace of fragrance. The ointment smells faintly salty, and the spray has a delicate medicinal smell, but not at all objectionable. The ointment absorbs quickly yet stays on the affected area. Both are clear.

Dog wound sprayThe only (minor) issue I had was that one of the spray bottles didn’t spray. I tried hot water and anything else I could think of to get it to work, but it never did. Might have been a bad batch, which happens to everyone. I’m glad I got two to test. The other one worked fine. If you buy some in the store, ask if you can spray your hand before you leave to make sure the spray nozzle works.

The ointment lasted a long time. Of course, it depends on the size of the wound and how much you apply, but I did not use the whole tube for my puppy’s 6-inch wound. The spray will give you around 200 sprays. Since the expiration date is nearly two years away, I’m going to keep the rest in my doggie first aid kit.

I really liked these products. They’re natural, effective and user-friendly. I would recommend any dog owner have some in the house for emergencies. You just never know when your dog is going to get an infection, scrape, or other minor injury.

Price: $29.95 each

Manufacturer: www.HumaneHealing.com

Lisa Woody is a former magazine editor and professional product tester for 15 years. She has been a pet products e-tailer for 8 years and loves to find out what's new and what works for dogs.

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment