Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Indianapolis Road Trip

Since being elected as President of the Greater Cincinnati Saint Bernard Club in November, I have been quite busy with all things Saint Bernard.  Monthly meetings, preparation for our Specialty Show this May and attending some of the local “ish” dog shows and Saint Bernard Specialties.  Its amazing how much hard work goes into planning and executing a dog show.  Its also amazing to see the lovely, sound dogs who are competing.  I’ve met some amazing people both here and abroad.

Last weekend Rufus and I took a “road trip” to Indianapolis for the Indy Winter Classic.  Rufus isn’t a show dog, but he loves to go on car trips so I brought him along for the company.  He certainly made himself at home in the hotel.  See that tiny spot in the corner, that’s where he expected me to sleep.

The cluster of shows drew a huge entry.  Each show had a 5 point major (for many of you that’s gibberish - I’ll explain “dog shows for dummies” in my next post so please bear with me).  It was great to see old friends and meet new ones that I have only known on facebook or through yahoo lists until then.  And of course the dogs!  As always, I took a TON of photos.  Note to self – I need to get an external flash to keep up with my snapping shutter finger.  Even though I have an excellent camera (canon 60-D), it struggles to keep up with my snapping when I use the built in flash.

I donated some baked goodies to the Indy Saint Club for their hospitality table.  One of the breeders called me the “hostess with the mostest” lol.  In honor of Mardi Gras I made a King Cake, complete with little plastic baby.  Southern tradition is the person who gets the baby is the hostess of next years Mardi Gras Party.  Up North, we don’t really celebrate Mardi Gras “proper” so it falls to a watered down tradition of whoever gets the baby has to bring the cake the next year.  Surprisingly, no one fessed up to getting the baby! Hmmmm I wonder if they are expecting me to bring it again next year.  The King Cake is on the left.

Since the St Bernard cupcakes were such a hit in Cleveland, I made a 3 tier, 6 layer white cake with St Bernard topper.  My cupcakes were mentioned in the January 18th edition of Dog News Magazine (page 61).  I’m starting to really enjoy this cake crafting thing.  I think I’m making up for my childhood when my mom wouldn’t let me play with play dough. 


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment