Total Pageviews

Friday, December 10, 2010

Give the gift of manners to your favorite dog-owner

Share on Facebook Tweet this Google Buzz Digg It Share on technorati Stumble upon it Add to delicious Email

At the beginning of each class at Kindred Spirits, I try to talk to each dog owner individually for a few minutes. “How was your week?” “Did you and your dog make any progress with teaching her to sit at open doors?” And so on. Not only do I like to give people some individual attention, but sometimes people are little more comfortable talking to me one on one rather than in front of the whole class.

Far too often, though, as I talk to people I find they emphasize the negative rather than the positive; they’re focused on the problem rather than the solution. “My dog tears around the house like a mad dog when I let him in from the back yard. So I leave him outside more.”

When I offer some solutions, such as, “Let’s make sure he gets plenty of vigorous exercise every day and let’s change him to a better diet. Then how about putting him on leash when you bring him inside until you teach him better manners?” The response is usually, “Wow, I can do that.”

My newest book is, “A Dog in the House: Experts Offer Advice on Living with (and Loving) Dogs.” In this book I focus on easy to implement solutions. Solutions that can be implemented by dog owners not just dog trainers.

The solutions offered come not just from my knowledge and expertise as a trainer and behavior consultant, but also from thirty different experts. My Pet Connection friends, Dr. Marty, Christie and Gina were kind enough to participate, but I also heard from other dog trainers, behavior experts, veterinarians, service dog users and trainers, groomers, and more. There is a wealth of knowledge in this book.

The subject matter in the book is a little different from many other dog books. Oh, I talk about raising puppies, house-training and other needed but common topics, but I also talk about the wonders of adolescence, how to help elderly dogs, and why good nutrition is so important. I also have a chapter on time management for busy dog owners and some budget tips for these tough economic times. There are 18 chapters total.

I also ventured into unknown territory with this book. It’s not available in print! This is an e-book that can be downloaded to a PC or Mac. It can even be emailed as a PDF to your Kindle. I have to admit it’s weird not to have a fresh copy of my newest book to hold in my hand, but my Dad told me when I was debating writing my first book that I would never get anywhere by hesitating.

If you would like to see more, go to my website or  the publisher’s website.

Now, here’s my blatant plea: If you have friends with dogs and you’re wondering what to get them for Christmas, “A Dog in the House” is a very cost-effective gift at $12.50. You can purchase it at the publisher’s website and your friend can download it at their leisure during the holidays. Since I can’t offer to autograph the book, I will be happy to send your friend (or you!) a personalized Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays email. Just let me know the details when you buy the book.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment