Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 11, 2010

He’s baaaack! There’s light in Archer’s eyes again

Share on Facebook Tweet this Google Buzz Digg It Share on technorati Stumble upon it Add to delicious Email

Our Pet Connection’s Dr. Becker and Dr. Johnson and Archer’s veterinarians, Dr. Paul Richieri and Dr. Mary Gibbs, all told me that Archer’s recovery would take time. As in lots of time. Dr, Becker specifically said months. Not a particularly patient person, I didn’t want to hear that. But since I couldn’t find my magic wand, I grudgingly accepted it.

After the first week and a half of extremely rapid recovery, things did seem to slow down. Paul and I both sighed — a lot– and steeled ourselves for a long, slow but what we hoped would be complete recovery.

Archer didn’t listen to his veterinarians. He would stay at an even keel for a few days and then make a leap in recovery. A few even days and another leap.

This past Saturday I took him with me to the Kindred Spirits training yard. We had several classes, and I had Bashir and Sisko with me to work, but I thought maybe Archer was going a little cabin-crazy so I brought him. I figured if he got tired I could put him in the office and let him sleep.

Yeah, right.

He was thrilled to be back to work. He volunteered to demo exercises. And I mean that; he volunteered. He left the area in the middle of the yard where the dogs can relax between exercises and he placed himself in a pretty sit in front of the trainer who was explaining the exercises being taught. He made it very clear he was ready to work. Good boy, Archer!

After classes, he played with the other dogs, he went to people for petting, and was just plain Archer. He was back!

Now granted, he doesn’t have much stamina, and when we got home he was out like a light. But that day at the yard showed how much progress he has made.

At home he has been playing, tossing balls at us,  soliciting play from Sisko and Bashir, and he’s back to following me around the house. Most importantly: The light is back in his eyes!

He’s also putting some weight back on — he lost 10 pounds (off a 50-pound dog!) — and he enjoys the multiple small meals he’s getting. He’s blowing coat but the coat is looking healthier. Amazing how quickly the coat can change when a dog is sick.

This was a very scary thing; we were so very close to losing Archer. But I’m thrilled he’s back. And Paul is even happier. We aren’t asking Archer to do his regular service dog work yet– other than a trip to Starbucks and back — but I think Paul will have his working partner back real soon.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment