Kim and I are in Long Beach, Calif., today, at the American Kennel Club’s AKC-Eukanuba National Championship. We’ve already made a pass through the show rings, stopped to say hello to Teresa Rodney and my dog McKenzie’s sister Sprint, the agility tornado, who ran clean this morning and needs to run a little faster this afternoon to finish at the top.
We then wandered through my favorite part of the show, the Meet The Breeds area. More than 140 of the 179 AKC recognized breeds and varieties have booths here, with friendly dogs and their owners happily sharing information on their breeds.
Kim and I were immediately drawn to a friendly Leonberger, only to find that one of the women in the booth lives not five miles from my home and recognized my name. The upside: The next time she breeds, I get to go snuggle big furry puppers. Awesome. Pictured is Gunther, who is “still growing” at 130 pounds. If I could have snuck him into carry-on luggage, I would have. What a sweetheart he is! (The light isn’t great in the Long Beach convention center, so everything ends up a little blurry when you’re not that good a photographer and you’re shooting with a smart phone).
My biggest laugh of the morning, aside from seeing a woman dressed in a pink fairy princess costume texting in the hallway, was the English Foxhound booth. After having followed a real hunt with the Houndbloggers in Lexington, Ky., had to smile at the political correctness of the display.
.
.
Foxchasing? Well, I guess so, since the fox (or in the case of the Iroquois Hunt, the coyote) usually escapes with the hounds not even getting close.
No comments:
Post a Comment